Sunday, October 5, 2014

Ford king pin

The more I learned about the 1994+ dodge axles the more  realized they are complete garbage. From the poorly thought out  vacuum actuated CAD (central axle disconnect) system to the faulty unit bearings the front axles on these trucks are a joke. I would like to meet the engineers that approved these changes and ask them what the hell they were thinking. Unfortunately Ford, Dodge and GM use unit bearing in all of their full size trucks now. After a lot of looking  I and a couple friends drove for a few hours to meet up with a fellow selling a 1989 Ford high pinion king pin Dana 60 out of an F-350 dually with 4.10 gears. I had been talking with guy over the internet for a while and he knew exactly what he had. But $1100 and couple hundred miles later I had a new axle in front of my house. And we fit some BMX in to this journey as well. Now I have an axle that need to stripped of its mounts, coil buckets added and full rebuild.