Monday, April 13, 2015

Fuel system nightmares

The starting issues with Eli's truck are not over. They were gone for a short time then returned with a vengeance. The truck would crank and crank and when it would finally fire up it would run extremely rough for about 20-30 seconds like there was air in the fuel. After a fair amount of running around I found Napa Auto parts carries diesel fuel line. I picke up 11 feet of 3/8" id rubber line (it was all they had). We lifted the bed up dump truck style to get to the fuel tank and bypassed the supply line. I put an inline filter near the motor and bypassed the fuel heater. After running to autozone to buy  a hand held fuel transfer pump (I couldn't find mine) I pulled diesel though the new line and hooked the line straight to the lift pump. I primed the pump and started it up. The truck fired up on the first crank and was running smooth, the lift pump was leaking like a sieve though. Next up replace the lift pump...